Contact us to learn more about purchasing this revolutionary hair removal system.
The Ipanema Tummy Tuck™
Tall and Thin and Young and Lovely
As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Gotkin knows the dangers of the sun and tanning.
Although he cannot advocate the original “tall and tan and young and lovely” girl who strolled the beaches of Rio de Janeiro, what woman wouldn’t want to be that woman who “when she passes, each one she passes goes ‘Ahh.’”
The Birth of the Ipanema Tummy Tuck
According to Dr. Gotkin's article about the Ipanema Tummy Tuck published in GLOW Magazine, of all the cosmetic procedures performed by plastic surgeons, the tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, seems to arouse a sense of apprehension and trepidation among the patients who would benefit from this procedure.
• Over the past 25 years, liposuction has taken over as the most commonly performed body contouring procedure.
• In fact, worldwide, it is the most common cosmetic surgical procedure performed.
But liposuction has a limited ability to tighten loose skin. Even “energy-assisted” liposuction, such as laser-assisted liposuction, can only tighten loose skin by about
This is often inadequate in the face of the skin laxity seen after pregnancy or significant weight loss. A tummy tuck is the only surgical procedure that will afford the cosmetic result that patients – both men and women – desire.
Recently, Dr. Gotkin traveled to the south of Brazil and performed Smartlipo® - laser-assisted liposuction - and a tummy tuck on a woman who had traveled from Rio de Janeiro for her surgery. Compared to traditional liposuction or the more aggressive power-assisted liposuction, laser-assisted liposuction is less traumatic.
The laser energy of Smartlipo “melts” the fat, converts it into a liquefied state and requires much less suction to remove the liquefied fat. In addition, the laser energy coagulates small blood vessels leading to less bleeding during the procedure and less bruising afterwards. The laser energy also stimulates new collagen production and has a tightening effect on the skin. Smartlipo also has the benefits of very small instrumentation (cannulas that are 1-2 millimeters in diameter) thereby reducing incision size and the trauma of surgery.
Already a firm believer that Smartlipo was a less invasive, less traumatic form of liposuction than conventional liposuction, Dr. Gotkin applied the Smartlipo technique to the tummy tuck procedure. This was the birth of the Laser-Assisted Lipoabdominoplasty – the Ipanema Tummy Tuck – named for that first patient from Rio that had the procedure!
Dr. Gotkin brought the concept back to the U.S. and Cynosure Inc., the laser company that manufactires the Smartlipo device, sponsored a scientific study to help prove the benefits of the Ipanema Tummy Tuck.
• Thirty-two patients were enrolled in the study; all of them had the Ipanema Tummy Tuck and they were followed post- operatively for 12 – 22 months.
• The patients had extraordinarily trouble-free recoveries. This is likely because the Ipanema Tummy Tuck preserves many internal structures typically sacrificed in a conventional abdominoplasty; therefore, the procedure is safer and the healing is
• In fact, the recovery was more rapid, more comfortable and, in many cases, did not even require any post-operative narcotics for pain relief. Many patients took only plain acetaminophen during the entire post-operative period.
Dr. Gotkin performs the Ipanema Tummy Tuck with tremendous success for his patients. And they continue to be astounded at the ease of recovery . . . especially with the pre-conceived notions that many of them bring to surgery.
This is a safer, less invasive tummy tuck with all of the cosmetic benefits of conventional abdominoplasty and fewer problems during and after surgery.
Contact our office today for a complimentary consultation.