It’s a beautiful summer day and the weekend is finally here. You plan to spend the day relaxing at the beach with a good book. But hold on a second…Did you put on your sunscreen?
Unfortunately, just one day in the sun without adequate skin protectioncould dramatically increase your risk of developing skin cancer. And most people actually get their sun casually – while driving, walking down the street, or sitting next to their office window! Ultraviolet A (UVA) rays, which cause aging, shine through window glass so protection is necessary even when indoors or in the car.
But putting on sunscreen can feel like such a chore. Dr. Zoe Diana Draelos suggests in the latest issue of The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal, an easy and pleasant way to incorporate sunscreen into your daily routine is to select a sunscreen-containing moisturizer.
In addition to sunscreen, women apply cosmetics such as eyeliner and mascara as well as prescription medications and anti-aging serums and creams. Where does sunscreen fit into the mix? Is there a proper order to applying all of these topical products that could maximize our protection from the sun?
Not to worry. Below, we included an easy and useful guide to applyingskin care products, courtesy of The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal2014. We hope it makes your life a little easier and a little healthier. Please don’t hesitate to share the knowledge. You could be saving someone’s life!
Proper Order for Skin Care Product Application:
1) Prescription topical medications
2) Cosmeceutical treatment products and serums (antioxidants, vitamins, hydroxy acids, and other anti-aging ingredients)
3) Sunscreen-containing moisturizer with an SPF of 30+, or a separate moisturizer followed by a separate SPF 30+ sunscreen
4) Facial foundation, preferably containing sunscreen for an added layer of protection (please note that the SPFs of sunscreens and facial foundations cannot be added up, but simply provide a more complete protective film together)
5) Facial powder (may improve sun-protective filter)
6) Other colored cosmetics (eye shadow, mascara, eyeliner, lipstick, blush, etc.)